In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, our friend Rachel @theblondepecan made these beautiful Honey Rose Sugar Cookies. A sweet treat for an even sweeter cause, you definitely want to give these a try!
1 ½ cups almond flour
⅔ cup cassava (or coconut) flour
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
1 egg room temperature
¼ cup Goldthread Honey Rose plant-based tonic
¼ cup cane sugar
½ cup powdered sugar
2 ½ tbsp Goldthread Honey Rose plant-based tonic
1 drop pink natural food coloring
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with a beater attachment, beat the butter and the sugar together for three minutes
- Add the egg and beat for another few minutes
- Add the tonic. The mixture will start to separate, so add 2-3 tbsp of the flour mixture, and beat for another 1-2 minutes
- Add all the dry ingredients into the wet, and beat until just combined. Make sure not to overbeat once it looks like dough!
- Flatten the dough into a rectangle, cover with saran wrap, and freeze for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350, and remove the thoroughly chilled dough. Pull off nine 1-2 inch sections of dough, and roll into balls. Place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and flatten until desired thinness. Take your cookie cutter and cut each individual dough section. Remove excess dough. Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes. Let cool completely before decorating.
- In a deep wide-brimmed bowl, mix the powdered sugar, tonic, and food coloring until a glaze/icing forms. If too runny, add more powdered sugar tablespoon by tablespoon until desired thickness. If too thick, add more tonic, teaspoon by teaspoon until desired thinness.
- Dunk the tops of the cookies down into the frosting to coat the tops. Add sprinkles if desired! Let dry.